Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I need some advice on how to use floppy disks on my new computer.?

My old comp had a floppy drive whereas my new laptop doesnt have one. I want to buy an external floppy drive to retrieve some pictures from floppys. Last time when I was doing that on my old comp many of the files prompted it had virus. Firstly how on earth did I get virus on my floppys I dont know, did this happen I stored them away for long? Now I want to know if its safe to run those floppys on my laptop? I have Norton anti virus protection and running windows XP. Is there a way I can remove virus before opening pictures? Please advise me if I should take the risk.I need some advice on how to use floppy disks on my new computer.?
Okay, first get one of those external floppy drives, I don't know how much Walmart is charging (gah... Walmart, I hate Walmart), anyway you can get them from Newegg for as little as $20, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis… now once you have the drive plugged in, don't transfer anything yet, scan the files on the drive with Norton (right click on the drive and you may have the option ';scan files with Norton';, I have this option with AVG. Once it either confirms the existence of a virus it may be able to remove it, there is always the possibility that it cannot clean the virus from the drive. If it can, or there is no virus then go ahead and bring the files over. Might I also suggest that you pick up a 2GB flash drive (as long as you're at Newegg) for $38 after rebates, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as… and replace all those floppies and such.





Don't worry, Norton (as much as I dislike Norton) won't let a virus get on your system from a floppy (or any other kinds of media).I need some advice on how to use floppy disks on my new computer.?
Cool, glad to help.

Report Abuse



you can get them from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/product/productlis…
Try to make use of the floppy drive on old pc, external floppy drive is more expensive and less efficient than cd/dvd burner.


Buy a crossover cable(%26lt;5 bucks) and link the 2 machine to share the floppy drive, harddrive, cd drive etc, then do whatever move/copy between the 2 machines.


How to set up a network using crossover cable, here's the link...


http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/simpl…


http://www.epinions.com/cmd-review-41D6-…
You won't find any floppy drives (for the 5.25'; discs or the driver for the 3.5'; discs).





You need to get one of those ';thumb drives'; or ';memory sticks';.





Good luck.
Just buy an external Floppy Drive. Put the floppy in. Go to My computer. Right click on the floppy drive. and click scan for viruses. If there are viruses tell the computer to delete them. If it can't send me the discs and I'll do it myself.
if you made the pics then there's nothing to worry about because you wouldn't give yourself a virus. But if they re not made by you then scan them with norton.

No comments:

Post a Comment