Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Does Anyone Have Any Advice on how to do well on the SAT?

This test is terrifying me..i hate long tests.Does Anyone Have Any Advice on how to do well on the SAT?
I got 2 perfect scores in math and reading, but my writing score was only 720, for a total of 2320. I only read this SAT guide, and that is how I got such high scores:


http://www.guideparadise.com/index.php?o鈥?/a>


I recommend this guide to anyone seeking to get a higher score to get into a first choice college.Does Anyone Have Any Advice on how to do well on the SAT?
buy some SAT review books(like barron's, princeton review, etc.) for the english section-just learn the vocab, and be able to use it in your essay(which has a time limit, 25 minutes). Read books, know what's going on (like in the news), and know your history so that you will be able to have examples to use in the essay without having to waste your time thinking about it. For the math section, I would say just review over many things you've learned before. And, don't guess on the test, unless you have a 50-50 chance or if you invested a lot of time on it. Good luck, im only a sophomore and I will have to take it soon too (:
I'm a 10 grader, and i am not thinking about taking the SAT. I am thinking about taking the ACT, from what I heard, it is simpler, and collages look at either one (ACT competing against SAT).


As for how to do well on the SAT.....


I think that some schools offer courses during the summer to help.
start taking SAT prep courses as soon as you can. Then be sure and study as many practice exams as you can find. Finally, take the test as many times as you have to. I also suggest getting ifo on the ACT from your councilor. I took both!
The good thing about the SATs is that you really don't have to think much while taking them.


Writing section: I would advise you to pick 5 examples that are versatile and can be used in any context. A good combo is 2 books and one historical event. For example, in all the SAT's I took, I used the books To Kill a Mockingbird and Siddhartha and the historical event, the Rwandan Holocaust. This way, you'll never have to think about it on the test.


Reading Section: There's really not much you can do for this section. If you are good at skimming thru passages and understanding them, then do that. If you are like me, then I would suggest you read the whole passage before answering the questions. Despite what people say, it doesn't hurt you or take away a lot of time. Also, on the test, don't hesitate to skip around and answer the easy questions first so that you'll be able to focus on the harder ones later (remember they are all worth the same number of points).


Math Section: Get one thing straight: the math section is not there to test you mathematic abilities; it is there to see how many shortcuts you know. Know basic methods like ballparking and plugging in. This is the one section where practice will really help because they usually ask the same types of questions all the time. Practice well, and definitely practice shortcuts. The princeton review book really tells you the various methods you can use.





And relax. If you relax you will definitely do much better on your test and save time. If you are nervous, then you wont be able to focus.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment